- We performed 104 concerts
- To approximately 105,000 people
We performed in the following UK locations:
- Basingstoke, Bath, Bradford-on-Avon, Bristol, Cambridge, Camden, Chelmsford, Cheltenham, City of London, Darlington, Durham, Glasgow, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Lambeth, Lewes, Luxembourg, Manchester, Nottingham, Ryedale, Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Westminster.
"FOR OVER 30 YEARS, THE ORCHESTRA OF THE AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT HAS COMBINED HIGHBROW MUSICOLOGY WITH A TREMENDOUS SENSE OF MISCHIEF. "
In the 2018/19 season:
- We performed in the following countries
- Brunei, Cambodia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Irish Republic, Laos, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam.
- To 29,000 overseas audience members
"I PASSED MY EXAM AND I WAS SO HAPPY AND PROUD OF MYSELF AND I HAD STRING CLUB TO THANK FOR HELPING ME PASS. I HAD A LOT OF FUN AND WILL CONTINUE PLAYING THE CELLO"
Children and young people
In 2018/19, our Education programme:
- Undertook 443 performances, workshops and other events for children and young people
- Reached more than 17,000 people across the country, often in areas where children have little or no access to live classical music
- Over 1900 primary pupils from twenty-one schools across London took part in our Fairy Queen project, inspired by Henry Purcell’s opera of the same name.
"INCREASINGLY WE ARE SEEING THE IMPORTANCE OF PLACE TO OUR COMMUNITIES, AND OF THE IMPORTANT ROLE WHICH ARTS AND CULTURE PLAYS IN ESTABLISHING PLACE. IT’S EXCITING TO SEE THE OAE’S PROPOSAL, TAKING WORLD-CLASS MUSIC TO THESE SHARED COMMUNITY SPACES ACROSS THE COUNTRY. "
A new generation
Our programmes to inspire and nurture the next generation of artists include:
- The Ann and Peter Law OAE Experience gives gifted period instrument musicians the chance to work alongside our orchestral players
- The Rising Stars of the Enlightenment is our singers scheme for talented, emerging artists
- Our Education team’s Nurturing Talent strand has recently focused on encouraging schoolchildren to take up endangered double reed instruments, oboe and bassoon
"THE TRUST THE OAE PUT IN YOUNG SINGERS TO STEP UP AND TAKE BIG ROLES IN PRESTIGIOUS VENUES ACROSS THE WORLD IS UNPARALLELED. "